Thursday, March 11, 2010

The BUZZ! ::konnichiwa!:: and Frozen Coffee Pie

I'm increasingly nervous about telling anyone that I have a "secret" as being a 20-something stay-at-home Marine wife makes people immediately assume I'm pregnant. Sorry to disappoint, kids. Even more exciting (well, indeed more welcome) is the fact that husband and I received orders to move to Okinawa, Japan!

Now, I knew we'd be finding out any day last week. The TBS Marines (mine included) were in the field for the whole week, cell phones prohibited. It was through a desperate phone tree of other wife-to-husband texts that I got word to my husband that I knew he had received his orders with our new duty station. Apparently not, though. After everyone found out on Monday night, I pretty much gave up hope of hearing anything until Friday when he returned home.

Thankfully, I had kept myself preoccupied that day by preparing the house for family coming over. Unfortunately, I was too busy rushing through the steps of dinner to take pictures, but for my husband, dad, his girlfriend (and now dear friend of mine) and little brother I made Cuban-style Black Bean Soup and Charred Beef Medallions with Seranno-Tequila Sauce with Mexican Rice. Dad and brother started on the beer and chips/queso/salsa while the "other K" and I indulged in a tasty glass of "Jim Jim" Australian shiraz. A short while later, husband walked in the door, caked in mud, looking a little more than exhausted, but cheesing nonetheless to have family filling the living room and a big ol' secret that only he knew.

As we sat down to eat, we all made small talk over soup. Then came entree time. I never thought my brother (or dad) would be able to stare down a medallion of filet mignon then put both fork and knife down and wait. For anything. First it was little brother. Then daddy. Then me. Finally K. Secret-keeping husband realized that we were all boycotting eating dinner until he spilled the beans. He tried to casually carry on with conversation, but he eventually gave up. Then the prodding began: "So, where ya going? How's the weather in California? What do you want to see most in Cherry Point?" His response? "Well, I really just want to see what Kaylie looks like in a kimono."

Bam! There you have it. :)

We celebrated that night with a favorite of my husband's from our dating days: Frozen Coffee Pie. You'll have to forgive me (or should I say, "sumimasen!"), but I forgot to take a picture of the final product when I pulled it out of the freezer to serve after the big news. This is a great treat in the dead of winter or in the hot dog days of summer. SO easy, cheap and refreshing!

(Serves 8)
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 C hot fudge sauce
  • 1 prepared 6 oz./9" chocolate-flavored crumb crust
  • 1 3/4 C cold milk
  • 2 pkgs (~ 4-serving size each) Jello vanilla pie filling
  • 2 tbsp instant coffee crystals
  • 1 - 8 oz. tub, thawed Cool Whip
Directions:
  1. Heat sauce. Pour into crust. Freeze for 5 minutes.



  2. Pour milk into large bowl. Add pudding mixes and coffee.
  3. Beat with wire whisk for 1 minutes. Stir in Cool Whip. Spoon mix into crust.



  4. Freeze for 4 hours. 
  5. Remove and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
P.S. For your viewing pleasure, a little taste of island life...
(Photo found on Google image search. Copyright JTA 2005 - Photo by Masaru Arai.)

4 comments:

  1. Eh, no picture required for a coffee pie! I am already visualizing greatness! You know, I think you would look cute in a Kimono. I tell Patrick that I would love to get stationed in Oki and wear a kimono among all the other awesome things about Japan. I feel if I walked around the states with one I would look somewhat less than sane. Hopefully my dear friend we will meet up in japan, sit out in a lovely park sipping our tea/coffee while wearing our kimonos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST story for how your family found out about your great news! =) That's so fun. Also, I'm intrigued by the recipe-- will definitely be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. That is exactly the kind of thing I would have devoured before I knew I was allergic to dairy. I can just imagine how yummy it is. I love coffee flavored desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious and it was fun reading about the new assignment. Hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete