Monday, March 15, 2010

Chicken-Zucchini Alfredo

When I first moved in with my husband (then boyfriend), I think I nearly killed him with pasta - namely chicken alfredo. It was the only thing that I could figure out how to throw together quickly and tastily. And how could I forget? Cheaply! I think it goes without saying that I needed to take a good, long break from it before he realized how little I could cook. 


To sneak it back into our repertoire, I had to make an outstanding version of it, and without warning. 


I gave full credit to the March (2010) edition of Food Network Magazine. (And a special thanks to the local auto shop for making me wait a full hour for an emissions test and, thus, encouraging me to read all the fine print to pass the time.)


Ladies and gentleman, a tasty dish and a simple way to try making alfredo sauce from scratch!


Ingredients:
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 tbsp EVOO
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 zucchini, thinly sliced into half-moons
  • 4 4-oz. thin skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 12 oz. fettuccine (preferably whole wheat)
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 C cold low-fat milk (1%)
  • 1/2 C evaporated nonfat milk
  • 3/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 C chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat 1 tbsp EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 clove garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the zucchini, cover and cook until tender, stirring, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.


     

  2. Heat another tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and cook through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Cook the pasta in the boiling water as the label directs. Drain, reserving 1/2 C cooking water; return the pasta to the pot.
  4. Meanwhile, whisk the flour and low-fat milk in a bowl. Place the remaining 1 clove garlic and 1 tbsp oil in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, 30 seconds. Add the flour-milk mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp salt and the cheese; stir to melt, 1 minute.
  5. Cut the chicken into strips. Toss with the pasta, sauce, zucchini and parsley, adding the reserved pasta water to loosen.
Et voila!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you did not make the sauce with heavy cream. Which is why I always bought the jarred sauce because I didn't want to KNOW it was bad for me, I was in denial. So I am happy that you posted this because that means I can make alfredo with out any guilt! I like guilt free dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this for dinner and I vow to NEVER pick up another jar of Alfredo sauce again! I still cannot believe that skim milk (in my case), fat free evaporated milk and some Parmesan cheese made such a creamy sauce. The only difference I found from this sauce and the jarred stuff was the fact that I didn't feel so guilty and fat for eating a big portion. This is a winner in my book! I have printed the recipe and it has won its way into my cookbook binder.

    ReplyDelete