Monday, March 22, 2010

Coffee Table Book: Jane Austen's "Persuasion"

When I moved to Stafford, I was lucky enough to find a great group of wives through my husband's particular school. I learned that many of those wives were also part of QOSO: Quantico Officers' Spouses' Organization. It was through QOSO that I joined my very first book club.

March's book is Jane Austen's "Persuasion." I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm not particularly fond of Austen's writing style. I read "Emma" in college and while it wasn't awful, it was only really tolerable because I kept comparing it to the movie "Clueless" (R.I.P. Brittany Murphy).

Having finished the book this evening, all I can say is "finally." Thank goodness the Kindle has a "percentage finished" so that I could keep my carrot a-dangling!

I digress. While I had intended to write about the plot, characters, blah, blah, blah, I will leave it at this: It wasn't until the "95% complete" mark that the major climax occurs and even then, it's lukewarm at best. Austen's voice in this book as well as others seems be that of a high-schooler dawdling on about mundane nothings. The only reason I'm at ease with the time spent reading this novel is because I do like the idea of someone finding love even if it means going against the grain or past decisions (the age-old second chance at love story). Unfortunately, not even the love letter at the end was enough to make this, in my opinion, a recommendable read.

Do me a solid -- instead of reading this, read just one other classic book that you've always wanted to.

1 comment: