Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spiced Cauliflower Soup

[I'll keep this short and sweet since "the cafe" is a-buzz with news!]


I was never a huge fan of vegetables as a kid and teenager. I sat at the kitchen table for hours while my momma waited for me to finish my brussel sprouts (and without gagging or sassing). I was grossed out by watching my step-dad and brothers butter their peas. You get the idea. 


I get on my husband's case for always trying to get me to try the sames things I don't like (read: salmon) over and over again in the hopes that one day I might just actually discover a love for it. When we lived in Blacksburg (Go Hokies!), India Garden was the only Indian restaurant in, oh, at least a one-hour radius. Needless to say, when I didn't feel like cooking that cuisine at home, it was our go-to spot. Their lunch buffet featured a decent array of the standard stuff: fresh naan, chicken korma, samosas, murg saag, and a variety of vegetable curries. After finishing my first plate (no judging!), I went back for seconds of one of the vegetable curries and, to my surprise, found how much I enjoyed the cauliflower taste with the potatoes. 


Still on my soup kick, I decided to try a, dare I say it? Cauliflower soup (thanks to my trusty "India's 500 Best Recipes" cookbook). Spices unique to Middle and South Eastern food always warm my thoughts and tummy. And, let's be honest, who doesn't love a yummy way to get your veggie count up?


Ingredients:
  • 1 large potato, diced
  • 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
  • 2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 4 C vegetable stock
  • 1 1/4 C Greek (plain) yogurt
  • salt and ground black pepper
  • fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley, to garnish
Directions:
  1. Put the potato, cauliflower and onion into a large, heavy pan with the oil and 3 tbsp water. Heat until hot and bubbling, then stir well, cover the pan and turn the heat down. Continue cooking the mixture for about 10 minutes.


  2. Add the garlic, ginger and spices. Stir well, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the stock and season well. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.


  3. Puree with immersion hand blender (or in a food processor or blender in small batches, then return to the pan). Stir in the yogurt, adjust the seasoning and serve garnished with coriander or parsley. For a twist, try it chilled.

    Et voila!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy. I wonder if I could make this without Patrick knowing about the cauliflower. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh. I'd marry you. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete