Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cheers! Wine Review: 2008 Chapoutier Bila-Haut (at Rasika)

After a lovely day wandering around the sunny, blossom-filled Tidal Basin this past Saturday, dear husband and I were both euphoric, but hungry. We had dinner reservations at Rasika, a classy little Indian spot in the Penn Quarter/Chinatown area that we'd been keeping tabs on through Washingtonian's annual Best Restaurant List

(Photo from About.com)

I won't get into a full restaurant review (though I think I might quite like to eventually), but I have to rave about the great wine we enjoyed, a bottle of 2008 Chapoutier Roussillon Bila-Haut (a Rhone red blend), rated #75 on Wine Spectator's Top 100 List of 2009 and given 90 points by Wine Spectator. 

Since I'm no good at giving all those delicious, sometimes curious, descriptions of wine, I'll share the winemaker's "notes":

Color: deep red garnet
Nose: black cherries
Mouth: well-structured with sweet meaty tannins. The wine had the heat and wildness of the Roussillon area.
Critical Acclaim: A muscular red, with concentrated flavors of dark cherry, plum, raspberry tart and grilled fig. The dense finish of dark chocolate is firm and focused, with smoky notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment