Saturday, May 29, 2010

Beef Burgundy, Banks! and Creamy-Dreamy Mashed Potatoes

First of all, Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Please remember that it's not just an excuse to have an extra day off of work or a way to mark when the pools open (though both have us feeling extra relaxed this weekend).

After watching Julie and Julia (the movie) with my husband a couple months ago (and loving it!), I decided to read the book ("Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking of Dangerously"). Now, I definitely enjoyed Julie Powell's writing style, but I didn't take to her character as much in the book as I did in the movie. I digress. After all of the  cooking inspiration, I decided to try my hand at Beef Burgundy (aka "beef bourguignonne"), a French classic. The Creamy-Dreamy Mashed Potatoes were a no-brainer when I saw them in the same cookbook ("Bride and Groom: First and Forever Cookbook).

Side note: For once, this recipe actually serves 4 (normal-sized adults).

Ingredients for Beef Burgundy:

  • 4 bacon slices, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef stew meat, such as beef chuck or bottom round, cut into 1" cubes
  • 8 oz. cremini or shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and quartered (if using shiitakes, discard stems) - *or, if you're anything like me, avoid the fungus like the nasty it is. ::shivers::
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 C good-quality red wine, such as Burgundy
  • 3 C beef broth (not double strength)
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • fresh rosemary sprig (4" long)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 20 packaged, peeled baby carrots
  • 1 C fresh pearl onions, peeled, or frozen petite whole onions, thawed
  • Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnishing
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Fry the bacon in an ovenproof 6-quart heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until lightly browned and slightly crisp, about 4 minutes.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the fat in the pot.
  4. Set the pot over high heat. Add the meat and cook until browned on all sides.

  1. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the mushrooms (ick), onion, and pepper.
  2. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle with the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the wine, broth, tomato paste, rosemary, bay leaf, brown sugar, and bacon.

     

  4. Stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, and bring to a simmer.
  5. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. (Note: I did NOT read the recipe ahead of time ::hangs head in shame:: The good news is this does just fine if you don't have an ovenproof pot. Just leave the lid on and continue on with the directions.)
  6. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. 
  7. Remove the pot from the oven (or remove the lid) and add the carrots and pearl onions.
  8. Bake, uncovered, until the carrots and meat are tender, about 30 minutes more. 
  9. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Wake up Sleeping Beauty, er, your sous-chef. 


 
Advise him to pay very close attention. (You may have dripped a little burgundy-goodness his way.)

Ingredients for Creamy-Dreamy Mashed Potatoes:
  • kosher salt
  • 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
  • 3/4 C heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 C milk, plus more as needed
  • 1 C (2 oz.) grated white cheddar cheese
  • 2 tsp grated onion, plus more as needed 
  • freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with salted water. 
  2. Bring just to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pieced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
  3. Meanwhile, heat the cream, butter and the 1/4 C milk in a small saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave.
  4. While the potatoes are still hot, press them through a potato ricer or mash with a potato masher or large fork.


  5. Return the potatoes to the large saucepan and fold in the warm cream mixture, then the cheese and the 2 tsp onion.
  6. Season with kosher salt and pepper and more onion to taste, thinning with additional milk to the desired consistency. 
Et voila!

7 comments:

  1. What a grand dinner. Meat doesn't usually appeal to me but this certainly does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It looks delish! I don't have an oven safe pot, I know I need one but I wonder if I could get away with making this in the crock-pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doggy is precious and the recipe doesn't look too bad either. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! Kristin: I don't have any ovensafe pots either ... stovetop works just fine. I figure the idea is to slow-simmer, however you can. :) Crock pot seems like it'd work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful meal!! Thanks for linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to comment soon after this meal, but I think I was in a food coma. This dish is absolutely one of my favorites, ever, for its savory simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little late, but wanted to say 'happy friday'! I found you on Friendly Friday and am your newest follower! I'd love it if you could come follow me too.

    www.momsbalancingact.com

    ReplyDelete