Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with BLT-Smashed Potatoes

I first tried this recipe (from Rachael Ray's "All-Occasion" cookbook) on my husband nearly a year ago. We don't have our outdoor grill here (since we're confined to apartment living for a little longer). We also didn't have a grill pan yet. So, as goofy as it sounds, my very first attempt at this was literally "grilled flank steak" in a T-Fal non-stick skillet (thanks, Mom!).

The second time I made this, my littlest brother and baby sister were visiting from Texas. Now, I know kids can be fickle about their food, but when I suggested steak and potatoes, they were both emphatic about trying it. At the time, our humble little abode didn't even have couches, so we sat indian-style* around the coffee table and as I presented dinner to them, their eyes lit up. My brother genuinely looked stunned. And, in typical "DD" fashion, said, "Kaylie. This is, like, gourmet." My heart could hardly stand it. :) Needless to say, the boy ate nearly the whole bowl of potatoes. If you've got hungry hippos at your table, I definitely recommend doubling this.

*In writing Indian-style, I found myself, for the first time, really thinking about the phrase. It didn't sound right so I Googled it and an "understandingprejudice.org" site popped up. I won't get into it, but I'm a little surprised that I never thought twice about the common occurrence of the term "Indian-style." Wiki says that many Europeans use the term "Turkish-style." I may have to force myself to say "cross-legged," but I'll try.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp grill seasoning blend, such as Montreal Seasoning by McCormick
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika, ground chipotles, chili powder or ground cumin
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper sauce, such as Frank's Red hot or Tabasco
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/3 C EVOO, plus a drizzle
  • 1.5 lbs flank steak
  • 1.5 lbs small new red-skinned potatoes
  • 1 leek, trimmed of tough tops
  • 4 (I prefer 6) slices thick-cut smoky bacon, such as applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
  • 1 small can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, well-drained
  • 1/2 C sour cream, half-and-half or chicken broth (I prefer sour cream or half-and-half)
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Mix garlic, grill seasoning, paprika, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and 1/3 C EVOO in a shallow dish. Place meat in dish and coat it evenly in marinade. Let stand 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, cut larger potatoes in half; leave very small potatoes whole. Place potatoes in a small pot and cover with water. Cover pot. Bring water to a boil, remove lid, then cook potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
  3. Heat a grill pan or cast-iron pan over high heat.
  4. Cut leek in half lengthwise. Chop into 1/2" pieces. Place leeks in a bowl of water and swish, separating the layers, to release the dirt. Drain leeks in a colander or strainer.
  5. Grill flank steak on hot pan; 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare to medium, and 6 or 7 minutes on each side for medium-well.



  6. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the bacon. Cook bacon until it begins to crisp and has rendered most of its fat, 3 to 5 minutes. Add leeks and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat them through, 1 minute.
  7. Drain potatoes and return them to the hot pot. Smash potatoes with sour cream (half-and-half or chicken broth) and the BLT (bacon, leeks, and tomatoes). Season with salt and pepper.



  8. Remove flank steak from grill and let it sit a few minutes before slicing. Thinly slice meat on an angle, cutting against the grain. Serve sliced flank steak next to BLT tomatoes.


    Et voila!

2 comments:

  1. You remind me of when we first got married with little stack tables for end tables next to a hand me down sofa.

    The kitchen was so tiny that when you opened the oven, it hit the fridge.

    When you go through the years and get more, you will appreciate it. I know, I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over after welcoming you to Okinawahai. What a great blog! I am going to check out a bunch more of your posts and make one of them tomorrow.

    In the schools they say "sit criss cross apple sauce." I dare you to use that one on your husband! (-:

    ReplyDelete