Sunday, May 23, 2010

Orecchiette with Broccoli & Chickpeas

With friends visiting from Florida, one "day of rest" (come on, though, we all know how crazy the day before travel is) and then a wild weekend in Vegas, I've been busy, busy, busy! I'll have to keep it short 'n' sweet (wait, no, healthy!) tonight as I'm still adjusting to the time change, lack of groceries, and the idea of having to let my husband go back to work in the morning.

I found this recipe on EatingWell.com (April/May 2006: "Eating Well Serves Two") in hopes of creating a low-cal dish (hey, I knew I'd have to wear a bathing suit and cocktail dress in Vegas ...). It's tasty, quick and easy. Oh, and healthy! Double up on everything if you want leftovers or have a hungry hippo at the table.

Side note: Happy 1st Anniversary to my hungry hippo, sous chef (jk!), and favorite food critic. :)

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz. orecchiette, or chicciole (about 1 1/2 C)
  • 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed and cut into 2" pieces (regular broccoli chopped up is fine, too, if you don't have rabe on-hand or can't find it at the store)
  • 3/4 C low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp EVOO
  • 4 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary, or 1/8 tsp dried
  • (1) - 8 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 6 minutes. Add broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain. Rinse and dry the pot.



  2. Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Heat oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to1 minute.



  3. Whisk in the broth mixture. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until it thickens. 
  4. Add chickpeas, vinegar, salt, pepper and the pasta mixture. Cook stirring constantly, until heated through and coated with the sauce, about 2 minutes.
 

Et voila!

3 comments:

  1. light and refreshing I like it. I think that I will try this but make it all vegetarian with vegetable stock instead of chicken. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out these recipes everyone. Very tasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some wonderful recipes. I am enjoying myself, looking at them.

    ReplyDelete