Monday, July 5, 2010

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes w/ Peanut Butter Frosting

First off, Happy (belated) Independence Day! I hope everyone was able to share the day with people they love. And if not, at least to have pride and/or love in their hearts. Even though my husband and I are usually apart on the 4th, my heart always swells at remembering our past 4ths together (in addition to the lyrics of the Star-Spangled Banner and the brave that defend our freedom).

The other great thing that the 4th brings is my little brother's birthday the day after - today being his 14th (big gulp). To celebrate, we spent the day poolside and then out to dinner at his choice of restaurants -- Foster's. Between catching rays, I was inside working on these puppies: Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting. I found the recipe this morning on AllRecipes.com after searing broadly for cupcakes. When the birthday boy woke up and joined me on the couch for his morning dose of World of Warcraft, he glanced over and saw me looking up cupcakes. He said, "Ok, ok - they have fudge cupcakes but what if you could make fudge cupcakes with peanut butter?" Done deal.

To my sweet, not-so-little brother who will probably never read this, but the world should know: You are such a loving guy with a unique sense of style and humor to match. I'm so excited to watch you grow and mature and share in your adventures to come. I love you!

Ingredients:

  • 1 - 19.5 oz. package Pillsbury brownie classic traditional fudge brownie mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1/4 C water
  • 1 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
  • 1 - 12 oz. container Pillsbury vanilla frosting
  • 3/4 C Jif creamy peanut butter
  • *For added effect, I grated dark chocolate on top. 60% cocoa or higher, if possible. 
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Line 18 regular muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
  2. Mix brownie mix, eggs, oil and water in a medium mixing bowl until well blended. Fill the muffin cups half full with brownie batter. Place about 1 tbsp of chocolate chips in the center of each cup.
  3. Bake 18-20 minutes until set. Cool slightly. Remove from muffin pan and let cool completely on wire racks. 
  4. Stir together frosting and peanut butter in a medium bowl. Spread over top of cooled cupcakes. 
  5. Sprinkle grated chocolate on top of frosting (optional). 


2 comments:

  1. Aw, you are so sweet! I have to agree with D-Man that peanut butter is a must. I just goes with everything. They look delicious, wish I was there to try them. You wouldn't happen to have any left over...? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet remark, you made to your little bro. I hope, he will always appreciate his big sister and those cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete