Sunday, July 18, 2010

Coffee Table Book: Chelsea Handler's "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea."

Chelsea Handler keeps me laughing during her evening routine on her show "Chelsea Lately." Her quick wit and and offbeat (often inappropriate) humor are perfectly balanced.

When it came to this book, I expected the same. Her three published books have all been New York Times Best Sellers. That being said, when I ran across "Are You There, Vodka?" at McKays, I scooped it into my basket as quickly as I could.

Handler's self-deprecating humor is what keeps this book together. It's a collection of short stories from her early life and young adulthood that's littered with awkward sexuality and blatant cynicism. The stories, though wild/unusual/mostly unbelievable, seem so random and the book itself doesn't flow and I ended up just looking for good stopping places so I could take a refreshing dip in the pool.

Conclusion: I'll still recommend people check out her show on E!, but as far as the book goes, I'd definitely say pass the vodka ... and not the book.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my darling, what a concise wonderful little book review! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... pass the vodka over here when you are done with it!

    ReplyDelete