Saturday, July 3, 2010

Coffee Table Book: Jodi Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper"

As summer progresses and my time at the pool increases (thank you, summer!), I'm thankful to report that I've been able to read a lot more than usual. This week afforded me the opportunity to finish up My Sister's Keeper (a book I started nearly two months ago).

Anna Fitzgerald is a young teen looking to be medically emancipated from her parents who conceived her and "use" her to keep her sister who is dying of a rare form of leukemia alive. She seeks out representation from Campbell Alexander, a workaholic who learns how to relate to his young client.

The book is as much about Anna's relationship to her sick sister as it is about the family's relationship with each other and the legal system (in more ways than one).

Conclusion: The language and writing style is simpler than desired at times, but the storyline is thoughtful and challenges the reader to put themselves in Anna's shoes.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you wrote up this review. I have the book, on the shelf, but I have not gotten to it. I think, it is time to take it off the shelf and give it a read.

    ReplyDelete