Monday, August 16, 2010

Coffee Table Book: Vicki Myron's "Dewey: The Small-Town Cat Who Touched the World"

If you know me at all, you know I'm utterly smitten with my boxer Banks. He's such a light in my life - full of funny faces (and noises), energy, and love. There's something about coming home to something that gets so darn excited to see you that just makes my heart melt.

That being said, I'm not a big cat person. They're warm and cuddly, but most of the time they act like you're on their time, and I've never really cared for that. I was also terrified of the family cat when I was a kid. Honest to goodness, I'd have to run up the stairs after turning out the lights because I knew Chance would be on the hunt for my ankles. I digress.

This book originally caught my attention on the new release shelf of the bookstore. Being the cheap-o, er, cost-conscious shopper that I am, I decided to wait on it, and then found it at the library's monthly book sale.

We are introduced to Dewey as a kitten when he is discovered jammed in a small farm town library's book shoot one frigid winter night. The book follows Dewey's introduction into his new life as the resident library cat. His relationships with the staff, patrons, and eventually town citizens, develop and eventually blossom. The author credits Dewey with bringing the town together. 

Much of the book focuses on the farm town's economical struggle and the author's own storyline. I really appreciated learning about the town's successes and depressions, but the author infused too much of herself into it. I do believe she had a lot to do with pushing Dewey into the spotlight and, thus, reminding the town about the wonderful resources a library can bring, but I didn't need so much background on her.

Conclusion: This is a light read that reminds us of the simple pleasures (love and joy, specifically) that animals can bring us as well as the fact that sometimes those little things are just what we (people, towns, communities, etc.) need to not only survive, but thrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment