Thursday, August 5, 2010

Orzo Salad with Lemon, Feta, and Pine Nuts

Originally, hubby and I had begun planning a Baltimore, MD wedding. With that being the case, we were driving all over the interstates attending vendor meetings. Being semi-educated, but mostly just indulgent, foodies, the food served at our wedding was important to us. (So was the cost.)

After a treacherous drive up to Baltimore, we arrived at our last catering meeting. I won't get in to too many details but the price they were asking for services/simple foods was astronomical and we knew before we even walked out that it wasn't going to work. Would you know, the representative still gave us a cooking mit and brand new cookbook - just for coming out. Who doesn't love a thoughtful freebie??


We haven't tried too many recipes out of this book yet, all in good time, but this is definitely one of our favorites! As the recipe summary says, "Close your eyes with each forkful of this salad, and you will be transported away to the Mediterranean seaside." Mmmmm, yes, please!

(Serves 4)
Ingredients:

  • 1/4 C olive oil
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 C orzo
  • 1/4 C pine nuts
  • 1/4 C golden raisins
  • 3 tbsp finely chopped black olives (*ick, not in my dish!)
  • 3 tbsp chopped red onions
  • 1/4 C thinly sliced fresh basil
  • 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
Directions:
  1. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.





  3. Meanwhile, put the pine nuts in a dry small skillet over medium-low heat. Shake constantly until evenly toasted on all sides, about 5 minutes.
  4. Drain the orzo and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the dressing to the hot pasta and toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add pine nuts, raisins, olives (*ick), red onion, and basil and stir to combine. Add the feta and toss lightly. Adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, as necessary. 
Et voila!


Linked Here:
Hey What's For Dinner
and  
MyMeatlessMondays

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. If you have a minute, would you like to link it to My Meatless Mondays?

    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-meatless-mondays-brown-rice-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could make this, so easily and so happily. I am into this mood where I want to add feta cheese to everything. It is such a great cheese. Pine nuts win too. I would have to use rice instead of orzo since hubby can only use gluten free orzo and although, I did find a package once, I haven't seen it again.

    Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays at Sweet and Savory.

    If you do get to make the sweet potatoes, enjoy. They are easy to make and good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feta cheese... count me in! I would even gladly accept the olives in this. I have orzo left over from the last orzo dish of yours. I think I will have to use up the rest of the orzo on this beauty.

    ReplyDelete