Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

As promised, I've decided to introduce a few crockpot recipes. My repertoire is small, but I'm trying to expand it. This is another recipe from SkinnyTaste and I found it to be a super tasty throwback to Chipotle! Not only did the house smell great, but the recipe also provided enough food for dinner and lunch the next day.

Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.

Ingredients:

  • 24 oz. (1 1/2 lbs) chicken breast
  • 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 8 oz frozen corn (*We use canned.)
  • 1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
  • 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
  • salt to taste


Directions:
  1. Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt in the crock pot.


  2. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.
  3. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
  4. A half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.
  5. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
  6. Adjust salt and seasoning. 
  7. Serve over rice with cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.
Et voila!

Shared here:
Beauty and Bedlam Get Healthy Cheap

9 comments:

  1. Looks great - bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Do you start with frozen chicken or thawed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that finished product looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary: I use thawed, but I imagine frozen would be fine so long as you do the longest length of time.

    I hope no one's judging my absurd amount of sour cream ... I've always been an "all-or-nothing" kinda girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I am always looking for new crockpot recipes. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds and looks great! My fam would like this one! Found you over at Family Food Fridays and your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! We love crock pot recipes at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I can't imagine how wonderful my kitchen would smell coming home to this meal. Thanks for linking up to Family Food Fridays, hope to see ya next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds absolutely delicious. I think these would even make great burritos or tacos.

    ReplyDelete