Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fall Blondies

The winds whipped and howled.
The fierce rain bore down.
It was a scary few days
here in Okinawa-Town!

Now the time has come
for creepy goblins & beasts
to wander the lands
"boo!"-ing & begging for treats!

(Is is just me or does Halloween seem to encourage rhyming? Ok - just me...)


This recipe (though renamed from "Halloween" to "Fall") comes from Martha Stewart. I get a lot of daily recipe ideas delivered to my inbox and don't ever have enough time to check them all out and/or try them out. This time, I couldn't say no. I didn't grow up with "blondies" (other than Momma!) so I thought it'd be fun to try my hand at them and see if I like them as an adult. The verdict? Heck yes, I do!

Ingredients:

  • 1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature, for pan
  • 1 C packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 C granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 C all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
  • 1/4 C each orange, yellow, and brown candy-coated chocolates (from a 12.6 oz bag)*
*I used autumn-colored M&Ms for this, but would really love to make these a few times with different "themes" - alma mater (Hokie, Hokie, Hokie Hi! Tech, Tech, VPI!), sports team, or holiday (how cute would this be on Valentine's Day?). You could also experiment with the M&Ms, making different shapes/designs. Or change up the candy itself and try Reese's Pieces! Either way, this recipe is sure not to disappoint (and is little goblin helping hands friendly). 

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Brush an 8"-square baking pan with butter; line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2" overhang on two sides. Butter paper.


  3. In a large bowl, whisk together butter and sugars until smooth. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt; stir just until moistened.


  4. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top. 
  5. Arrange candies in rows on top of dough.

    (They don't spell "mmmm" for no reason!)

  6. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. (*I set the timer for 45 minutes and think 38-40 would have been perfect.)
  7. Set the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely. 
  8. Using parchment overhang, lift cake from pan and transfer to a cutting board; cut into 16 squares.
    (To store, keep in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days.)
Et voila!


Shared here:


Keeping It Simple Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale

7 comments:

  1. I didn't grow up with blondies either and didn't have my first one until after I was married. I just love them, they're a nice change from the usual chocolate brownie (which, don't get me wrong, I love too!). I love the idea of switching up the M&M's depending on the holiday. I bet these were delicious. Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were delicious! I wish that second to last picture was wallpaper size; I would make it my desktop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG those look so good! LOVE those blondies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had blondies before. I always say that I am going to make them but then I end up making the fudge version. I like that you can change out the M&M's for various occasions. These looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had blondies but they look really good. My husband has quite the sweet tooth so I'm sure they wouldn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blondies. That's a really cute idea to use the m&ms and just the thing to add a nice bit of chocolate to every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW fun! I would never have thought to make them with M&M's! That's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete