Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Here's to You, Momma! Monkey Bread

I've mentioned once before that I've always had two "homes-away-from-home": Hatteras Island (in the Outer Banks, NC) and Fairview Beach. Fairview is a tiny community in King George, VA. My mom and step-dad bought a little house there when I was a kid. Since then, we've had all sorts of functions down there - their wedding, birthday parties, Easter egg hunts, and more Independence Days than I can remember.

All of us enjoyed the community so much that it was all we could do to get our stuff in the car fast enough to get down there after school/work on Fridays. We'd load up the "work truck" (step-dad's) and Momma's Bronco (yes, OJ Simpson's vehicular twin), our bichon Coco in the front seat.

We'd spend the entire weekend in and out of the house, in and out of the water, in and out of the fire house, convenience store, crabhouse - you name it, we were into it. This, of course, accounted for all the sandy, dirty feet in the house. We'd wake up on Saturday or Sunday mornings and reek of smoke from the bonfire, find shmeared marshmallow bits in all sorts of places, and/or have sand in the sheets. (Sorry, Momma!) But the best part of waking up wasn't just realizing how much fun you had the day before, but smelling Momma's cooking ... (or hearing it; she's awful at keeping quiet when everyone's asleep!).

Monkey bread was a beloved breakfast food at Fairview. None of us could keep our hands out of it - come on, dessert for breakfast?! Often served alongside a "breakfast casserole" or with scrapple, bacon, toast and eggs, this hit the spot. Every. Single. Time.

When early Sunday evenings rolled around, my little brother would ride off on his bike in a fury and hide until someone could convince him that we really, absolutely had to go home now. This is pretty much how I feel when I have to make myself stop eating the monkey bread! I never want to leave the warm, sweet comfort of it.

While this recipe isn't my Momma's (I found it on AllRecipes), it is a near-perfect match!

Ingredients:

  • (3) 12 oz. packages refrigerated biscuit dough
  • 1 C white sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 C margarine
  • 1 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1/2 C raisins (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9" or 10" Bundt pan
  2. Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag. Cut biscuits into quarters. Shake 6 to 8 biscuit pieces in the sugar-cinnamon mix. Arrange pieces in the bottom of the prepared pan. Continue all biscuits are coated and placed in pan. If using nuts and raisins, arrange them in and among the biscuit pieces as you go along.
  3. In a small saucepan, heat the margarine with the brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minutes. Pour over the biscuits.


  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. (*I recommend putting a well-worn cookie sheet on the rack below to catch anything that drips or falls out so it doesn't scorch the bottom of your oven!) 
  5. Let bread cool in pan 10 minutes (*Seriously, I didn't and had a heckuva time getting it out). 
  6. Turn out onto a plate. Do not cut! The bread just pulls apart. 
Et voila!
(Please forgive the poor photo. We had guests over and I had to sneak a quick pic before serving it!)

4 comments:

  1. I do love me some monkey bread. I have yet to make it myself. I suppose it is just one of those things that I hope people make at parties. Plus I think that if I made it at home, I would inhale it within an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkey bread is AWESOME! And I love Allrecipes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I've heard of this but never seen it. It looks sinfully delicious!

    I am enjoying my visit to your blog (it's my first time). I hope you can stop over to Free 2 Be Frugal sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete