Thursday, October 21, 2010

Skinny Pumpkin-Spiced Coffee

You know those days when you're craving that super fancy coffee, but don't want to spend the money on it? Or maybe you don't want to drive across town to go get it ...

This recipe (again, from SkinnyTaste) is the perfect fix. Made with fresh pumpkin butter, it uses ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. It's also a great way to share the "gourmet" taste with guests in your home. (And, of course, it's really perfect for those of us in Okinawa who have Starbucks, but no special seasonal drinks!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 C fat free milk
  • 2 tbsp pumpkin butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp sugar (or sugar substitute), to taste
  • 1/4 C espresso (or, if you're like me and don't have an espresso machine, 1/2 C strong-brewed coffee)
  • fat free whipped topping
  • pumpkin pie spice for topping
Directions:
  1. In a small pan combine milk, pumpkin butter, and sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring, until boiling. 
  2. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
  3. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth (or whisk well with a wire whisk). *This is important as not blending well will give a grainy texture you really don't want.

  4. Pour into two mugs, add the hot espresso (or coffee), and top with whipped cream and a dash of pumpkin pie spice on top.
Some of my favorite mugs ... 


Et voila!


Shared here:

5 comments:

  1. Well the closest Starbucks I have is two towns over and about a 15 minute drive, yea the towns are that small. Although Marissa emailed me and told me that they have a salted caramel hot chocolate there that I need to try. Hot chocolate with mocha sauce and toffee nut syrup, topped with sweetened whipped cream, a caramel drizzle and sprinkled with our sea salt and Hawaiian Turbinado sugar topping. Now doesn't that sound good! I plan on making pumpkin butter once I buy more jars to put it in. Then I will be trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, this is perfect for the gal that's closest starbucks is a 45 minute drive away, yikes!!!

    I am hosting a pumpkin link up on my blog next monday, I hope you will stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I just made pumpkin butter the other day (my first time) so now I'm going to try this! It sounds pretty simple! Thanks for the recipe, Kaylie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good, I love all these coffee recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy fall to my new best friend. Anyone who likes pumpkin spice coffee is a friend of mine! And the "skinny" is a bonus. I'm your newest follower and can't wait to find more from you!

    ReplyDelete