This recipe has come to the rescue many times and came to us from allrecipes.com. I should note that hubby loves cornbread so to up the YUM factor, we top the casserole with cornbread batter before putting it in the oven. We use two packages of Jiffy corn muffin mix -- mix 'em up, set 'em aside, and then smooth on top of the casserole right before the dish goes in the oven.
Finally, we're cheese fiends. Can't get enough. We were both shocked that this recipe didn't call for any, so I did what any sane person would do - load it with cheese. :) About 1 1/2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese.
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix (if you so choose) - *They require eggs and milk.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 - 15 oz. can sweet corn, drained
- 1 C mild, chunky salsa
- 1/4 C sliced black olives (*ick, not in my dish!)
- 3 1/2 C cooked egg noodles
- 1 - 15.25 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 C taco sauce
- 1 - 1.25 oz pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 C tomato sauce
- 1/2 C sour cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown ; drain.
- In a 9"x13" baking dish combine the beef, corn, salsa, olives, cooked noodles, beans, taco sauce, seasoning mix, and tomato sauce.
- *Top with cornbread mix if you're adding it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through (cornbread should be golden on top).
- Serve with sour cream.