Friday, October 22, 2010

Vegetarian Korma

As you may know, I try to make at least one vegetarian dinner a week. Sometimes I know exactly what I want (hello, risotto!) and other times, I search high and low for something unique that I think will fill not only my hungry eyes, but my hubby's ever-hungry belly.

This week, I turned to AllRecipes for vegetarian recipes and stumbled across this one. It was rich and creamy, but still very healthy (coconut milk comes from coconuts - I think that is sound enough logic!). ;0) This is a flavorful, filling recipe for vegetarians, people trying to get their daily veggie count up, and everyone in between. (Ok, everyone period!) The best part of this is that you're in control of how spicy you make it - a great meal for Indian food beginners.

Ready in an hour. Serves 4. (Recommend serving over basmati or jasmine rice.)
Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 small potatoes, cubed
  • 4 carrots, cubed
  • 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 tbsp ground unsalted cashews 
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 C frozen peas
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (*We use one whole pepper.)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (*Yep, another whole one.)
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Directions:
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. 
  2. Stir in the onion and cook until tender.
  3. Mix in ginger and garlic, and continue cooking for 1 minute.
  4. Mix potatoes, carrots, jalapeno, cashews and coconut milk. 
  5. Season with salt and curry powder.


  6. Cook and stir for about 35 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Make sure to stir regularly as mix sticks quickly.
  7. Stir peas, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper into skillet.


  8. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
  9. Garnish with cilantro and serve. (Optional) (*We like to sprinkle the top with more crushed cashews for extra crunch!)
 
Et voila!
Shared here: 
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Beauty and Bedlam 
Tuesdays at the Table @ 


Hey What's For Dinner
MyMeatlessMondays






6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a pretty dish. I'm always up for a good vegetarian dish and this looks like it has a lot of flavor too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds absolutely delicious. I like the cashews in it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really really good. I love a good korma and this with the cashews is awesome!!
    I love brown basmati rice, have you tried it? SO GOOD!!

    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it's great to have you along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope - haven't tried brown basmati rice - yet! :)

    Thanks for the warm welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a perfect meal with all those vegetables. We usually have brown rice, also. It is has more taste and is healthier. (Tell me that when I am eating chocolate.)

    The seasonings sound like they are the total blend. I want to make this.

    Thanks for linking it to My Meatless Mondays. It is a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous meal!! I love all of the colors, and of course, the curries and vegetables! I really want to try this -- I think I've got everything for it!

    ReplyDelete