This week, I turned to AllRecipes for vegetarian recipes and stumbled across this one. It was rich and creamy, but still very healthy (coconut milk comes from coconuts - I think that is sound enough logic!). ;0) This is a flavorful, filling recipe for vegetarians, people trying to get their daily veggie count up, and everyone in between. (Ok, everyone period!) The best part of this is that you're in control of how spicy you make it - a great meal for Indian food beginners.
Ready in an hour. Serves 4. (Recommend serving over basmati or jasmine rice.)
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp ground unsalted cashews
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 C frozen peas
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (*We use one whole pepper.)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (*Yep, another whole one.)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and cook until tender.
- Mix in ginger and garlic, and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Mix potatoes, carrots, jalapeno, cashews and coconut milk.
- Season with salt and curry powder.
- Cook and stir for about 35 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Make sure to stir regularly as mix sticks quickly.
- Stir peas, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper into skillet.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve. (Optional) (*We like to sprinkle the top with more crushed cashews for extra crunch!)
Tuesdays at the Table @