Friday, November 5, 2010

Brea's Pumpkin Bread

Living on Okinawa, while amazingly beautiful and rich in culture, can often be lonely. I am so thankful to have a few friends from home who live on the island with me.

One of these dear friends (the one I adventured into the great blue (green, really) yonder with to find Cafe Kugafu), had a little housewarming/BBQ/get-together last week. One of our other friends from back home came, too, and it was great getting to sit down and chat just like old times.

My friend mentioned that she had been cooking/baking up all kinds of pumpkin goodies lately for her son's school. Of course I perked up - I'm still on my pumpkin kick! She was gracious enough to share this very simple and very delicious pumpkin bread recipe. I made a little loaf for me/hubby and a giant loaf for hubby to take to work. I was lucky enough to have *just* enough batter left for one more little loaf that I plan to make tomorrow.

Ingredients:
  • 2 C pumpkin puree
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 C vegetable oil
  • 2/3 C water
  • 3 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 1/2 C flour
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp baking soda
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. 
  2. Grease 3 loaf pans.
  3. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix.


  4. Fill loaf pans half full. 
  5. Bake for 1 hour. (If making muffins, bake for 25 minutes.)
Et voila!
(P.S. I'm loving these cheap, but decorative 1/3 lb disposable paper loaf pans I found at the ¥100 shop!)

2 comments:

  1. Nothing says Fall like pumpkin bread! And it smells so incredible too while it's baking, doesn't it? I haven't made any yet this year. I don't have a favourite recipe, yours sounds easy and delicious. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. And I love the loaf pan find, will be stocking up on those!

    ReplyDelete