Thursday, December 9, 2010

Indian-Spiced Chickpea and Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup

Sometimes there's just nothing better than a piping hot, robust soup -- and this is one of those soups. This recipe comes from Rachael Ray's 2, 4, 6, 8 cookbook and was an immediate hit in my house. Shoot, I'd make this soup just for the aroma alone. Roasted garlic, spices, mmmm ...

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 C EVOO
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 - 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
  • 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • salt and black pepper
  • 1 C chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 - 28 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 1/4 C plain yogurt
Directions:
  1. Heat the EVOO in a medium pot over medium heat. 
  2. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Combine the chickpeas and onions in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add them to the pot and cook for 5 minutes to sweeten the onions.
  4. Season the chickpeas with the cumin, cardamom, turmeric, salt, and pepper. 
  5. Stir in the stock, then the tomatoes, and simmer the soup for 5 to 10 minutes to combine the flavors.
  6. Serve it with a dollop of yogurt on top.
My apologies (again) for not having a photo. For a week or two, I was feeling a little hopeless with this blog. I wish I had a better "relationship" with viewers/followers - as in, I wish I knew who you were, what you want to see, what you're reading, etc. So, while I may not have a photo of this soup, I do have a warm wish for any/all readers to feel the warmth (even if it's solely on the inside) as the holidays move into a full swing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment