Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie

When I was growing up, my brother and I often looked forward to having frozen, boxed chicken pot pies for dinner. My momma must have been thrilled to have us kids looking forward to eating not only a cheap and easy dinner, but veggies, too!

This recipe (from Pillsbury) was my first attempt at making my own chicken pot pie and it met every one of my expectations. It was simple to make, didn't require many things that I didn't already have on hand, and brought the same warm, fuzzy feeling that I used to get sitting around the table eating it with family.

Prep Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 1/2 C chopped celery (1 - 2 stalks)
  • 1 C thinly sliced carrots (2 medium)
  • 1 C frozen cut green beans, thawed
  • 2 C chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 - 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 - 10.5 oz. can chicken gravy
  • 1/2 tsp dried sage leaves
  • 1 C finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
  • 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on the box
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in carrots, green beans, chicken, soup, gravy, and sage. Cook until bubbly. Stir in 3/4 C of the cheese. Spoon into ungreased deep 2-quart casserole. (Corningware dishes are great for this!)
  2. Place pie crust over hot chicken mixture. Fold over edges to fit inside casserole. Cut small slit in surface of crust with paring knife. (*I also use the edge of a fork to make a design around the edges by lightly pushing it against the sides.)


  3. (*I recommend wrapping tin foil around just the edges to prevent them from burning. Remove the tin foil when there are about 10 minutes left to bake.)
  4. Bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 C cheese over crust; bake 5 to 6 minutes longer or until crust is deep golden brown and cheese is melted. 
Et voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment