Monday, January 17, 2011

Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage

I have officially suffered my first kitchen burn. And, wow - it was a truly one for the (scary) books.

It all happened so quickly. I was fixing this BOMB recipe (shared below) with oil heated too hot. And with ... (pause for effect) ... sausage. I did go vegetarian (with the exception of fish) for 2011 and the sausage really was just for hubby.

But when it all boiled down (pun intended), turning the sausage caused the hot oil to splatter up and out of the sauce pot and sear across the top of my stirring hand. YOWZA.

The sting quickly went away and I thought I was fine since the skin on my hand just looked a little lighter where the burn was. I was wrong. Within 30 minutes, I had a huge, dark blister taking up almost the entire length of my hand.

So! I will use this opportunity to not only share a really really really delicious recipe (from Rachael Ray), but also to remind everyone to be safe when cooking with hot oil. Make sure it doesn't get too hot to where it is popping when the slightest thing touches it. Use splatter screens. If you are burned, submerge your burn immediately into very cold running water for about 10-15 minutes to help. Use an antibiotic (like Neosporin) + something with Vitamin E to keep the skin moist and help reduce scarring. (I love Palmer's Cocoa Butter!)

Enough of my kitchen war story, here's the good stuff!

Serves 4
Cook time: 15 minutes


Ingredients:

  • coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 lb penne rigate or rigatoni pasta, cooked until al dente
  • 2 drizzles EVOO
  • 1 lb bulk sweet sausage
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
  • 4 to 6 leaves fresh sage, slivered (about 1 1/2 tbsp)
  • 1 C dry white wine
  • 1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
  • 1 C canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 C heavy cream
  • 2 pinches ground cinnamon
  • 3 pinches ground nutmeg
  • Romano or parmigiano cheese, for grating over pasta
Directions:
  1. Put a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta. When the water boils, add salt and pasta. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, in a deep pot over medium heat, pour in 1 drizzle of oil and brown sausage in it. Remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain and return pan to heat. 
  3. Add second drizzle of oil to pan and saute onion and garlic 5 minutes, til soft and sweet. Add bay leaf, sage, and wine to pot. Reduce wine for 2 minutes. Add broth and pumpkin and combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble.
  4. Return sausage to pan, reduce heat, and stir in cream. Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes.
  5. To serve, return drained, cooked pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Remove bay leaf from sauce and pour sauce over pasta. Toss pasta and sauce 1 or 2 minutes over low heat so pasta can absorb flavors.
  6. Top bowls of pasta with freshly grated Parmigiano or Romano cheese and serve.

    Et voila!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! The first duo recipe and it looks delicious! Unless, I have missed one. Okay, now I need to check to make sure that I didn't.
    I am the burn/cut queen when it comes to the kitchen. It gets so bad that when something happens and I either swear or say "Ow!" Pat's immediate reaction is asking "What did you do?" Not to mention the fact that I have burn ointment along with neosporin and cocoa butter. I always joke that I am going to set up a first aid kit in the kitchen but I think I really should do it. I hope your hand is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete