What better to loosen up phlegm (eww) than a hot, spicy Indian dish? Creamy Lamb Korma with Fiery Hot Yogurt and Chilli Sauce (from India's 500 Best Recipes) does the trick. Add a side of "Loev Aaj Kal" and you have yourself a recuperative little night in!
Creamy Lamb Korma (served over basmati rice)
Ingredients for Korma:
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white poppy seeds
- 1/2 C blanched almonds
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2" piece fresh root ginger, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2" piece cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 lb lean lamb, boned and cubed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/4 C double cream mixed with 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- roasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- Preheat a karahi, wok or large pan over medium heat without any fat, and add the first seven ingredients. Stir until they begin to change color. They should go just a shade darker.
- Leave the mixture to cool, then grind to a fine paste using a pestle and mortar or in a food processor. Heat the ghee or oil in the pan over a low heat.
- Fry the cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves until the cloves swell. Add the lamb, ground cumin and coriander and the prepared paste, and season with salt to taste. Increase the heat to medium and stir well. Reduce the heat to low, then cover the pan and cook until the lamb is almost done.
- Remove from the heat, leave to cool a little and gradually fold in the cream, reserving 1 tsp to garnish.
- When ready to serve, gently reheat the lamb, uncovered. Spoon into a dish and garnish with the sesame seeds and the reserved cream.
Fiery Hot Yogurt and Chilli Sauce (*Note: The book has this listed as a soup but it was so thick and creamy that we used it as a sauce instead!)
Ingredients for Sauce:
- scant 2 C plain low-fat yogurt, beaten
- 4 tbsp gram flour
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 whole dried red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 or 4 curry leaves (*I substitute with ground curry.)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2" piece fresh root ginger, crushed
- fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped, to garnish
Directions for Sauce:
- Mix the yogurt, gram flour, chilli powder, turmeric and salt to taste in a bowl. Press the mixture through a strainer into a pan.
- Add the green chillies and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy pan and fry the remaining spices, crushed garlic and fresh ginger until the dried chillies turn black.
- Pour the oil and the spices over the yogurt sauce, cover the pan and leave to rest for 5 minutes off the heat. Mix well and gently reheat for a further 5 minutes.
- Ladle over korma.