Thursday, July 14, 2011

Crepes

My best friend here on Okinawa (Kara!) recently had a great friend from back home in the States visit. I'm so glad Kara was able to spend a whole month with her and really show her how wonderful Okinawa really is. Like me, both of these girls are adventuresome and have the travel bug which led us to many conversations about travel in general.

Naturally, Paris came up since that's where hubby and I honeymooned two years ago. I've said it before and will say it again (in my best attempt at a French accent): j'adore Paris! It will forever hold a special place in my heart. And so will crepes. (Yeah, I said it.)

Walking the streets of Paris was sensory overload (in a good way). I could just lose myself in the sounds, sights, smells ... ahhh, the smells ... fresh coffee and crepes. It was outside the Louvre that I enjoyed my very first one. A nutella and banana crepe, to be specific. I'm bummed there are no photos of us devouring them, but it's probably best since I'm sure I had it enthusiastically shmeared across my happy face.



It took a full two years before I tried making them at home, and I am happy to report that it was a complete success! Try your hand at these and picture yourself relaxing at some open-air bistro with a giant mug of frothy cafe au lait. ::le sigh::

(Recipe from AllRecipes)
Makes 12
Prep Time: 5 mins. / Cook Time: 30 mins. / Ready In: 35 mins.

Ingredients:

  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 C milk
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
Directions:
  1. Sift together flour, sugar and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk together with an electric mixer. Beat in flour mixture until smooth; stir in melted butter. 
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 2 tbsp for each crepe. (*I recommend using a soup laddle.) Tip and rotate pan to spread batter as thinly as possible. Brown on both sides and serve hot. 
  3. (*These buttery flaps of heaven are delicious as-is, but if you're looking for the fully Monty, I highly recommend topping with powdered sugar, apricot jam, nutella and/or fresh fruit.)

Et voila!

3 comments:

  1. I want some crepes! Mmmmmm.


    Do the creep, i mean, crepe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crepes and that photo is giving me serious reason to think about making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum these look good. I'm going to have to forward this to Max because after he tried them at Blue Seal he decided he wanted all future meals (dinners & desserts) served via crepe. ~Kristle

    ReplyDelete