Friday, August 5, 2011

Aebelskiv...(huh?!) and Typhoon Muifa

I'm writing this as hubby, puppy and I ride out the last half of Typhoon Muifa. She's been sluggish and moody! It's been wildly windy and the rain has been pelting the house (and sneaking under the front door!) for almost 24 hours now. No worries, though, as I have not only great company but also a fun new birthday present to try out (thanks Momma G!).

I present to you ... aebelskivers. They're delightful little pancake-y puffs that are often served on holidays in Denmark. I first learned about them while thumbing through the latest Williams-Sonoma catalog (::sigh::). I was so excited not only to receive a large box from my mother-in-law (Momma G) on my birthday, but to open it up and find my very own ("Norpro") Aebelskiver pan!

The cast iron pan is small, but extremely efficient. It heats up quickly, retains the heat and distributes it really evenly. I recommend looking into them for your own kitchen if you think you might use it often enough.

This recipe is the one that came with the pan (I figured it was probably pretty trustworthy and a good place to start). We made these yesterday for breakfast, but also snacked on them for dessert. Hubby has convinced me to try a dinner version of these -- maybe little hamburgers? We'll see.

Yields: about 40 Aebelskivers
Ingredients:

  • 2 C flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 C buttermilk (*Like I mentioned, we're in a mandatory lockdown while the typhoon rips through so going to the commissary wasn't an option. I don't keep buttermilk on hand and I never end up using more than, oh, a quarter of it. I Googled [yes, that's a verb] "buttermilk substitute" and found this recipe. You'll need to make two batches, but it was quick and worked great!)
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • *Optional: Apple slices or other fruit for filling. (*We used applesauce, apricot preserves, and chocolate pieces.)

The set up.
(Note the giant punch bowl: I was testing an iced coffee recipe I can't wait to share with you! Oh, and one of my favorite mugs from back home: "When the going gets tough, tell me I'm beautiful!")

Directions:
  1. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add buttermilk and egg yolks. Beat egg whites until light and fluffy, forming soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
  2. Heat Aebelskiver pan on medium heat. Grease each cup (with a little butter or oil, or spray vegetable oil) and fill 2/3 full.


  3. Cook for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 minutes (per side) until golden brown. Flip using skewers. When both sides are done, serve with a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar. (Best when served warm.)
  4. Optional: Fill each cup only 1/3 full with batter. Place a small amount of fruit in each cup and cover with an additional 1/3 batter.
Et voila!

And in case you're wondering what it looks like here outside Cafe Groenhout:
It may be hard to decorate, but I'm thankful for my very sturdy little concrete bunker!

And how my little chef (Banks) is handling it:

3 comments:

  1. The pups definitley deserve a beach day after this! And I want some of those....Aebe...puffy delicious looking thingys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I read this last night, probably minutes after you posted it, and was thinking about how awesome it was that you made muffin-y things on your stove top! Then I had a dream that I was making them at home in Michigan. TMI? Oh well :)

    Looove the Banksy vid. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! If you ever make them again and can't seem to finish them all, I live right down the street! :)

    ReplyDelete