I was reminiscing the other day about my trip back in March/April to Hawaii with my dear friend Kara. We were so blissfully happy the day we found a Ross, even if it was in a rough-and-tumble, we're-gonna-see-Dog-the-Bounty-Hunter-for-sure area. Almost as exciting was the night we had California Pizza Kitchen after a hot, but fun at the Honolulu Zoo. It reminded me so much of my cherished Mom/Daughter Dates I used to share with my mom. We used to go C.P.K. and order two personal Thai-Chicken Pizzas and, wouldn't you know, it's one of the few things in this world than can slow down any of our conversations because it's just that good. In honor of kinda-sorta missing home as well as kinda-sorta being really proud of myself for adjusting so well to living on the other side of the world/being a better cook, I'm sharing this Thai Chicken Pizza recipe from Pillsbury - a dead-ringer for a taste of "home."
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients/Directions for Peanut Sauce:
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/4 C smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp crunch peanut butter (optional)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root (*Substitute a heaping tsp of ground ginger if you need to.)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy!)
Combine and stir all the ingredients in a small bowl. (Try not to taste-test too much ... you won't be able to stop!)
Ingredients for Pizza:
- (1) 11 oz. can Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/2 C Thai peanut sauce (Use what you made above if you're not using store bought.)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3 C chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 C julienne (matchstick-cut) carrots
- 1/4 C sliced green onions (4 medium)
- 1/4 C chopped salted peanuts
- 1 1/2 C (6 oz.) finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Directions for Pizza:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or grease 15x10" or larger dark or nonstick cookie sheet. Unroll dough onto cookie sheet; starting at center, press dough into 15x10" rectangle (filling the entire sheet).
- In a small bowl, mix peanut sauce and ground ginger; spread to within 1/2" of edges of dough.
- Top with chicken, carrot, onions and peanuts; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 14 to 17 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro.
(I recommend this with a nice, cold glass of Chardonnay - mmmm!)